Skip to main content

Shifting Gears

Making the shift from small-batch cooking at home to making large quantities in a commercial kitchen has been a real learning process.

For starters, I'm using new and different commercial-grade equipment -- equipment that changes even the most basic recipes.

Here's one example: At home, I make rice in my small rice cooker or in a saucepan on the stove. I combine 1 cup of uncooked rice and 2 cups of water and cook the rice through, taking care to avoid burning it.

But in the commercial kitchen, instead of a small counter-top appliance or saucepan, I use a gigantic steamer to make several cups of rice at a time. I add several cups of raw rice to a large pan, add just enough water to cover, set the steamer to 212 degrees and wait 20 minutes. Viola! Perfect light, fluffy rice. The best part about this method is that it's fairly foolproof. It's darn-near impossible to burn rice in the steamer.

And the way I follow recipes has changed too. When you're making one casserole, it's easy to follow a recipe from start to finish. But when you make several at a time, you have to tackle recipes in stages.

Here's what I mean: With one 11x17 casserole, you can chop veggies while browning the meat. It takes only a few minutes to dice onions, celery and carrots -- a task you can accomplish in the amount of time it takes to brown a pound of hamburger.

But when you're making big batches, it could take an hour to prepare all of the fresh herbs and vegetables.

So the first thing I do when I hit the kitchen is complete all of my prep work first. For every recipe. That means washing, slicing and dicing EVERYTHING needed for ALL of the recipes at the same time.

Then, when it's time to actually make the casseroles, I take my large bins of diced ingredients and simply scoop out what I need.

It takes quite a bit of advanced planning to cook like this, but once you actually start making the meals, the cooking process itself goes much faster. And it's more enjoyable.

I like putting on music and chopping away. That zen-like state you enter when working with your hands can be relaxing.

But don't get me wrong. I've had my bumps, burns and bruises adjusting to big-batch cooking. I've had a full sheetpan of brownies take an hour to set. I've turned my fingernails orange from handling so many carrots. And my hands ALWAYS smell like onions.

And then there's this:


That commercial range sure gets hot!

Luckily, you can teach an old dog new tricks. If that pooch is open-minded, resourceful and maintains her sense of humor.



Did I just compare myself to a dog here?!?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving twins

I recently delivered Cream City Casseroles meals to two families with twins.

One was a gift delivery to welcome two precious little babies into the world. As the new dad gratefully accepted the big bag of oven-ready meals, he was visibly moved by his friends' outpouring of love and support.  
We talked for a few minutes about adjusting to life with newborns, and how life with twins is both an incredible blessing and a huge challenge.
"It gets easier," I assured him. "I know. My twins are now teenagers." 
Relief washed over his face.
"This is hard," he admitted. "Really, hard."
Looking back, I barely remember those first few weeks after my girls were born -- they're just a blur. But I do remember being blissfully happy and scared out of my mind, simultaneously.  

A few weeks ago, I got an email from a mom with toddler twins. She travels a lot for work and inquired about ordering meals to stock the fridge for when she's out of town. A…

Knock, knock ... Dinner's delivered!

When I first launched Cream City Casseroles, I only delivered to customers at their daycare centers and workplaces. My main worry was what to do if a customer wasn't home.

We're delivering food here, people!

But then, a customer had a brilliant suggestion:

"What if I left a cooler on my doorstep? You could put my food in there."

Boom. Genius.

You could've heard my forehead slap across town. Why didn't I think of that?

Well, let me tell you, home delivery has TOTALLY taken off. It's the most popular delivery method BY FAR. And it's so simple.

Here's how home delivery works:

1) You leave out a large cooler with ice pack.
2) I put your order in the cooler.
3) I email you that your dinner was delivered.
4) You come home and heat your dinner in the oven.
5) You eat dinner and FREAKING LOVE IT.
6) You immediately order dinner for next week.
7) You reward yourself with a bubble bath ... using the fancy soap.

Just 7 teeny-tiny steps. How easy is that?


I hav…

Dish Delish: Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole

I'm a recipe-aholic. I love perusing cookbooks and foodie websites, looking for new and yummy dishes. Wanting to offer some lighter summer options for the upcoming summer months, I've been looking for casserole recipes that can be prepared in the oven, crock pot or grill. 
Tall order, I know, but it can be done. Especially when brats and sauerkraut are involved.

I came across a recipe that is really good, but didn't make the cut for my summer menu. I liked it a lot, but it was too sweet for my chief taste-tester's palate. (My husband.) Still, I thought it was nice for a change and worth sharing.
Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole
6 servings
Ingredients: 1 (32 oz.) jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut in thin slices1 granny smith apple, peeled, cut in thick chunks1 onion, diced1/2 cup apple cider/juice1/4 cup chicken stock2 TB brown sugar2 tsp caraway seeds1 clove garlic, minced1 lb. brats fully cooked1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, crumbled Combi…