Skip to main content

The Gift

Many years ago I was in a tough spot.

I had three small kids, was working full time, had a monster commute and was going through a painful divorce. Time was my enemy.

My days went something like this ...

After being up all night with the baby, my alarm would buzz at 4 a.m. I'd get everyone dressed, fed and out the door by 6:15. We'd rush to daycare, then I'd rush to make it to work by 8. Socked with a crazy workload, I skipped breaks and worked through lunch so I could leave by 5:15 and pick up the kids just before 6 p.m., minutes before daycare closed. Then I'd rush home to make dinner, do laundry, help with homework and get the kids bathed and into bed. And then I'd get to do it all over again the next day.

It was awful. I had zero time for myself, let alone meal planning and housework. I functioned on autopilot, fueled by Diet Coke and in a constant state of stress and exhaustion.

And then it happened.

I remember it distinctly. I pulled into my driveway one night, bleary-eyed and focused on my evening to-dos. It was dark and something on the front step shimmered as my headlights swept across the front of my house. I unbuckled the kids and waddled toward the door, loaded down with the infant car seat carrier and school backpacks.

On the step was a laundry basket and inside were three large casseroles in disposable aluminum oven pans. And a note. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it went something like this:

"Take a break from the kitchen and enjoy these meals. Relax. You deserve it."

I was overwhelmed with appreciation and relief. The gesture meant so much to me then -- and it still does to this day, nearly 10 years later.

I thought of that night recently, as I delivered a meal last week. The lady, a mom who recently returned to work after having her first child, told me she'd been up all night with her sick baby. She was exhausted, worried, and was leaving work early to take the baby to the doctor.

We talked for a little while, discussing strategies to ease her baby's discomfort and help everyone get some sleep. My four kids are older now and even though sleepless nights spent soothing sick babies are behind me, I remember how hard and hopeless it can feel.

As I handed over her meal, she said, appreciatively, "At least I don't have to worry about dinner tonight."

And that, my friends, is why I'm doing this.

There are times when life is so busy, so hectic, so stressful, that we badly need a break. We need somebody or something to lighten the load ... even just a little.

In the 10 years since I found three casseroles on my front step, I've dreamed (and schemed) of ways to help lighten the load for busy people like me. And that's how Cream City Casseroles was born ... out of a desire to help people take charge of their busy and often stressful lives.

And each time I make a delivery and see that look of appreciation and relief wash over a customer's face, I know I'm making a difference ... one casserole at a time.

Comments

  1. We recently ‘gifted’ Cream City Casserole entrees to two families, one to a single gal with an over-the-top work load and the other to a young mom suffering from the ‘blessings’ and tribulations accompanying a newborn baby. Both gifts hit the bulls eye.
    Think about it…a flower arrangement is a nice gesture, but all one can do is look at it. A fruit basket is good alternative but how just how many grapefruit can a person eat?
    A gift from CCC checks all the boxes. Jess provides an awesome presentation, the entrees are wholesome, home cooked and ready to eat. And the leftovers? Wonderful. What would you rather have? A microwaved Happy Meal that has the taste and texture of a new pair of jeans left too long in the clothes dryer, or a creamy casserole that gets better with the second re-heat, just like your mom’s was back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Some of the most thoughtful gifts are ones that are practical/useful. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving twins

I recently delivered Cream City Casseroles meals to two families with twins.

One was a gift delivery to welcome two precious little babies into the world. As the new dad gratefully accepted the big bag of oven-ready meals, he was visibly moved by his friends' outpouring of love and support.  
We talked for a few minutes about adjusting to life with newborns, and how life with twins is both an incredible blessing and a huge challenge.
"It gets easier," I assured him. "I know. My twins are now teenagers." 
Relief washed over his face.
"This is hard," he admitted. "Really, hard."
Looking back, I barely remember those first few weeks after my girls were born -- they're just a blur. But I do remember being blissfully happy and scared out of my mind, simultaneously.  

A few weeks ago, I got an email from a mom with toddler twins. She travels a lot for work and inquired about ordering meals to stock the fridge for when she's out of town. A…

Knock, knock ... Dinner's delivered!

When I first launched Cream City Casseroles, I only delivered to customers at their daycare centers and workplaces. My main worry was what to do if a customer wasn't home.

We're delivering food here, people!

But then, a customer had a brilliant suggestion:

"What if I left a cooler on my doorstep? You could put my food in there."

Boom. Genius.

You could've heard my forehead slap across town. Why didn't I think of that?

Well, let me tell you, home delivery has TOTALLY taken off. It's the most popular delivery method BY FAR. And it's so simple.

Here's how home delivery works:

1) You leave out a large cooler with ice pack.
2) I put your order in the cooler.
3) I email you that your dinner was delivered.
4) You come home and heat your dinner in the oven.
5) You eat dinner and FREAKING LOVE IT.
6) You immediately order dinner for next week.
7) You reward yourself with a bubble bath ... using the fancy soap.

Just 7 teeny-tiny steps. How easy is that?


I hav…

Dish Delish: Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole

I'm a recipe-aholic. I love perusing cookbooks and foodie websites, looking for new and yummy dishes. Wanting to offer some lighter summer options for the upcoming summer months, I've been looking for casserole recipes that can be prepared in the oven, crock pot or grill. 
Tall order, I know, but it can be done. Especially when brats and sauerkraut are involved.

I came across a recipe that is really good, but didn't make the cut for my summer menu. I liked it a lot, but it was too sweet for my chief taste-tester's palate. (My husband.) Still, I thought it was nice for a change and worth sharing.
Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole
6 servings
Ingredients: 1 (32 oz.) jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut in thin slices1 granny smith apple, peeled, cut in thick chunks1 onion, diced1/2 cup apple cider/juice1/4 cup chicken stock2 TB brown sugar2 tsp caraway seeds1 clove garlic, minced1 lb. brats fully cooked1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, crumbled Combi…