Skip to main content

Aftermath

Under normal circumstances, I'd be HORRIFIED to let anyone see my messy house, but this picture is just too good to share. 

This is the aftermath of our family dinner last week: 

Notice the remnants of Rosemary's Baked Spaghetti, the Don't Forget the Salad Salad and Mom's Fudge Brownies? 


What's noteworthy about this picture is that, aside from making the food at work and bringing it home, I didn't lift a finger to get it on the table. 

How? Because I delegated dinner.

You see, I was at work (coincidentally making your dinners) when I had my teenagers pop this casserole in the oven. And I was driving home when they warmed the extra sauce and set the table. And I sat with my feet up, while the kids -- the four year-old included -- cleared the table.

Viola! A complete meal with little effort on my part.

This Mother's Day, I encourage all moms to think about ways they can delegate more. We don't have to do everything alone. Anyone who lives under your roof should be responsible for helping cook and clean. 

I know it's easier said than done, but give it a shot. You deserve it!

Happy Mother's Day!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving twins

I recently delivered Cream City Casseroles meals to two families with twins.

One was a gift delivery to welcome two precious little babies into the world. As the new dad gratefully accepted the big bag of oven-ready meals, he was visibly moved by his friends' outpouring of love and support.  
We talked for a few minutes about adjusting to life with newborns, and how life with twins is both an incredible blessing and a huge challenge.
"It gets easier," I assured him. "I know. My twins are now teenagers." 
Relief washed over his face.
"This is hard," he admitted. "Really, hard."
Looking back, I barely remember those first few weeks after my girls were born -- they're just a blur. But I do remember being blissfully happy and scared out of my mind, simultaneously.  

A few weeks ago, I got an email from a mom with toddler twins. She travels a lot for work and inquired about ordering meals to stock the fridge for when she's out of town. A…

Knock, knock ... Dinner's delivered!

When I first launched Cream City Casseroles, I only delivered to customers at their daycare centers and workplaces. My main worry was what to do if a customer wasn't home.

We're delivering food here, people!

But then, a customer had a brilliant suggestion:

"What if I left a cooler on my doorstep? You could put my food in there."

Boom. Genius.

You could've heard my forehead slap across town. Why didn't I think of that?

Well, let me tell you, home delivery has TOTALLY taken off. It's the most popular delivery method BY FAR. And it's so simple.

Here's how home delivery works:

1) You leave out a large cooler with ice pack.
2) I put your order in the cooler.
3) I email you that your dinner was delivered.
4) You come home and heat your dinner in the oven.
5) You eat dinner and FREAKING LOVE IT.
6) You immediately order dinner for next week.
7) You reward yourself with a bubble bath ... using the fancy soap.

Just 7 teeny-tiny steps. How easy is that?


I hav…

Dish Delish: Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole

I'm a recipe-aholic. I love perusing cookbooks and foodie websites, looking for new and yummy dishes. Wanting to offer some lighter summer options for the upcoming summer months, I've been looking for casserole recipes that can be prepared in the oven, crock pot or grill. 
Tall order, I know, but it can be done. Especially when brats and sauerkraut are involved.

I came across a recipe that is really good, but didn't make the cut for my summer menu. I liked it a lot, but it was too sweet for my chief taste-tester's palate. (My husband.) Still, I thought it was nice for a change and worth sharing.
Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole
6 servings
Ingredients: 1 (32 oz.) jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut in thin slices1 granny smith apple, peeled, cut in thick chunks1 onion, diced1/2 cup apple cider/juice1/4 cup chicken stock2 TB brown sugar2 tsp caraway seeds1 clove garlic, minced1 lb. brats fully cooked1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, crumbled Combi…