Dish Delish: Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole

I'm a recipe-aholic. I love perusing cookbooks and foodie websites, looking for new and yummy dishes. Wanting to offer some lighter summer options for the upcoming summer months, I've been looking for casserole recipes that can be prepared in the oven, crock pot or grill. 

Tall order, I know, but it can be done. Especially when brats and sauerkraut are involved.

I came across a recipe that is really good, but didn't make the cut for my summer menu. I liked it a lot, but it was too sweet for my chief taste-tester's palate. (My husband.) Still, I thought it was nice for a change and worth sharing.

Sweet Summer Bratwurst Casserole

6 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 (32 oz.) jar sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
  • 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut in thin slices
  • 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cut in thick chunks
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup apple cider/juice
  • 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 2 TB brown sugar
  • 2 tsp caraway seeds
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. brats fully cooked
  • 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, crumbled
Combine the kraut, potatoes, apples, onion, apple juice/cider, chicken stock, brown sugar, caraway seeds, garlic and bacon in a large bowl and mix well. Pour the mixture into a crock pot, 9 x 13" glass casserole dish or grill-safe pan that's been lightly coated with non-stick vegetable spray. Using a sharp knife, score the brats diagonally and place them on top of the sauerkraut mixture. 

Baking instructions:

Crock pot: Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 
Grill: Cover with foil or grill-safe lid and grill on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Oven: Cover and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes. 



Yum!


Score the brats and place on top.

The finished product.

I made this in the crock pot and on the grill and preferred the grilled version best. 

On the grill, the kraut-potato mixture was tangy, slightly crisp and sweet, plus the brats were plump and juicy. 

In the crock pot, the kraut and potatoes got a little mushy and the texture of the brats was different. I'm not saying to avoid the slow cooker, but if you go this route, don't let this sit all day. Keep the time/temperature low and under 6 hours.

If you have any great summer casserole recipes, send them my way. I'd love to give them a try!

Comments