Proud Momapreneur

The other day my 10 year-old son approached me while I was folding laundry. Normally, my family avoids me while I'm in the throes of housework, you know, lest they get pressed into service.

Naturally, I was caught off-guard. And a smidge suspicious.

"Mom," he began. "You're an entrepreneur, right?"

His question surprised me. I didn't know that word was even a part of his vocabulary.

"Yes, honey. I am." I said. "I started my own business, Cream City Casseroles, so I am an entrepreneur."

"That's really cool," he said, handing me a glossy postcard. It was from Junior Achievement, a nonprofit that helps teach kids about financial responsibility and business principles using neat hands-on lessons.

A JA volunteer had visited his fourth grade class and explained entrepreneurship using this handout:



During the exercise they discussed the traits of a successful entrepreneur and did a self-assessment:



The card indicated the following traits are needed to be a successful entrepreneur:

  • Determined
  • Creative
  • Self-confident
  • Ambitious
  • People-person
  • Experienced

"You have all of these traits," he said with a big smile on his face. "I told my class about you," he proudly added.

I felt a lump in my throat as my eyes got a little misty.

I've always tried to be a good role model for my kids --- both as a mom and as a professional. I was so pleased -- and utterly relieved -- that one of them actually took notice. And took the time to tell me so. 

I hugged him tightly. Then we talked through his self-assessment. I pointed out that he has many entrepreneurial traits too, and assured him that experience comes with time. I encouraged him to seek experiences that will help him learn and grow ... to never stop learning. 

With a start, he dropped the card and took off. (He likely realized he'd been in the laundry room a little too long, and was afraid I'd put him to work.)

It was a brief and beautiful moment. 

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure ... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

- Theodore Roosevelt

Comments