All Hail Dad

This Father's Day I'm especially thankful for two very special men in my life: My husband and my dad. Both have been hugely supportive as I navigated the waters of launching (and now running) my own business.

My husband

When I first shared the idea of starting Milwaukee's first casserole delivery service with my husband, he was nervous. The prospect of starting a business and ultimately working in sales concerned him. And rightly so. Working without a net -- no steady paycheck or 401(k) match -- is scary. But as he read through my business plan, he began to see the idea as a viable business vs. a silly pipe dream.

I'll never forget it. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "You know, if someone would have pitched to me the Pampered Chef idea years ago, I would've said, 'Sounds risky. Pass.' But what do I know? Go for it."

Since that day, he's been my biggest supporter. And on my busiest weeks, he helps keep things running the home front. 

"Do what you need to do; I've got it," he'll say.

And if that wasn't enough, he's a wizard at Excel. My honey developed some killer spreadsheets to help me manage food costs and inventory. And, being the genius he is, he locked them so I can't accidentally goof up the crazy-complex formulas. (He knows me so well!)

I'm beyond thankful for his love and support.

The four year-old nailed it. It looks just like them!

My dad 

My dad was the first person, other than my husband, with whom I shared my casserole delivery idea. I remember it like it was yesterday. We met for lunch at our local Olive Garden. Poking at my salad, I mustered up the courage to tell him about my business plan. 

He sat quietly and listened, then leaned back in his chair and rubbed his chin, letting the idea soak in. 

"You've given this a lot of thought," he said. "And you say there's nothing else in town like it? It sounds really intriguing."

Within a few weeks, we were touring commercial kitchens to rent. It was helpful to hear his perspective and ask questions I hadn't considered. And as the business came to fruition, I shared every milestone with Dad, from founding my LLC to passing my ServeSafe exam. Dad congratulated me enthusiastically every step of the way.   

And on top of all of that, when I hurt my back a few months ago, Dad came to the rescue! He joined me in the kitchen and helped me fill the week's orders. He was a godsend that day. And still is.

All hail Dad. You rock.

Comments