Top 10 Questions about Cream City Casseroles ... Answered

Whenever I tell people about Cream City Casseroles, Milwaukee's first casserole delivery service, they are full of questions.

A lot of questions.

So, I've compiled the top 10 questions and answered them here for you:

Top 10 Questions (and Answers) about Cream City Casseroles:

10) Do you operate Cream City Casseroles out of your home?

No. In Wisconsin and many other states, it's illegal to prepare food for retail sale from a private residence. Cream City Casseroles is a fully licensed, certified and insured business operating in rented commercial kitchen space in Waukesha county.

9) Why don't you deliver to home addresses?

I deliver to customers at their daycare centers and workplaces in Milwaukee and Waukesha counties. There are 3 reasons why I (a one-woman operation) do not currently deliver to residential addresses:
  • Efficiency. It's more efficient for me to deliver to multiple customers at one stop. For example, I might deliver to 3-5 customers at one daycare center vs. making 5 separate stops to individual homes.
  • Food safety. Unlike a package or floral delivery, I can't leave food on a doorstep if a customer isn't home. With so much perishable food to deliver, I can't wait around for a customer who may have stepped out unexpectedly.
  • Personal safety. Have you seen the news lately with Craig's List killers and such? People are nuts. (Except you. You're wonderful.) I can't risk my personal safety. After all, my kids need someone to do all that laundry.

I know the no-home-delivery thing isn't ideal and I hope to be able to expand delivery options in the future.

8) Do you offer a customer pick-up option?

Not yet, but I'm working on it. Some day, I'd like to open a storefront to serve as home base for our delivery service and also to accommodate customers who want to pick up their orders.

7) Love the menu, but do you have low-calorie options?

I serve comfort food classics, including Chicken and Biscuits, Shepherd's Pie and Baked Spaghetti, which are not known for being especially low-cal. That said, I use the freshest ingredients available, avoid condensed soups, and add lots of fresh herbs and veggies. Lighter options include baked Chicken Burritos Verdes and The Whole Kielbasa, which also is gluten free. The menu also features a large, family-sized salad.

6) How about vegetarian or vegan options?

Admittedly, I'm a bit limited in these areas. Sure, I have a Mac N Cheese that's meatless, but really, how much macaroni and cheese can a vegetarian eat? I'm TOTALLY interested in testing (and potentially featuring) tried-and-true vegetarian/vegan casseroles, so if you've got a favorite you're willing to share, please send it my way.

5) Are you hiring?

Not yet. I've only been up and running since March 2015, but as business continues to pick up, I'll no doubt need help cooking and delivering. When the time comes, I'll post something on Facebook and my website.

4) Can I make special requests, such as no peas in the Shepherd's Pie?

Unfortunately, no. All entrees are made in huge batches. (Not made to order.) It's darn-near impossible to hold the peas for one order, but not the others. Besides, as my mom always said, "Eat those veggies! They're good for you!"

3) Did you go to culinary school? 

No, but I've worked in the food service industry as a server, caterer and prep cook. Plus, I love to cook ... and eat! I have a huge family and enjoy making yummy food.

2) How did you get the idea for Cream City Casseroles?

Like I said, I love to cook, but not in a rush after a long day at work. It's no fun being stuck cleaning up the kitchen until 7:30 or 8, while trying to help the kids with homework. (Fourth grade math is hard!) So, while standing in line at a take-and-bake pizza place, I watched the gal put fresh, fully cooked ingredients on a pizza that I took home and baked in my oven. I wondered, "Why not do the same thing with a casserole or skillet meal?"

The idea to deliver at workplaces and daycare centers came from nearly 15 years of shuttling kids to/from daycare, working full time and commuting in rush-hour traffic. I often wished I could pick up the kids and a hearty, home-style dinner at the same time, instead of making another stop on the way home.

1) Why casseroles?

Three reasons:
  • Casseroles are the food equivalent of a big, warm hug. They're warm, satisfying and often inspire nostalgia for mom or grandma's cooking. That's the kind of food I like to eat and serve.
  • Casseroles are hearty and economical. My family can drop $50 at a fast food restaurant with little to show for it. (No leftovers and everyone's hungry soon after.) Cream City Casseroles' hearty, family-sized meals cost about $4.25 per serving. 
  • Casseroles are versatile. You control portion sizes by scooping as much or as little as you'd like. Plus, casseroles freeze well so you can eat some now and save some for later. And best yet ... leftovers! 

Have an additional question? Please leave it in the comments. 

Comments

  1. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here.
    review

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment