Traditions

It's funny how intertwined food is with certain family traditions.

For me, holiday brunch isn't the same without my mom's Bacon Brunch Casserole, a light, fluffy egg bake loaded with hickory-smoked bacon and sharp cheddar cheese.



I've been eating this casserole on Christmas mornings and at Easter brunches for as long as I can remember. And it's the first casserole my kids would eat without complaint. (Ew, Mom! Everything's touching!)

There are three things I love most about this casserole.

1) You make it the night before serving it. This gives me an excuse to take a break from wrapping Christmas gifts or putting jelly beans inside plastic Easter eggs, and also keeps me from being trapped in the kitchen Christmas and Easter morning.

2) It's fool-proof. Seriously, cube bread, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and dry mustard and toss it all with a pound of bacon and lots of cheddar cheese. Let it sit 8-12 hours and bake for an hour at 350. Easy peasy.

3) It's in demand. The kids love this casserole so much, they'll request it on, oh, say a Tuesday night. Nope. I keep it special by saving it for special occasions.

Here's to food, family and traditions. <3

Comments